- 10 November 2022: Here is a report on our workshop at UZH on control of autonomous systems.
- 4 November 2022: At the Swiss Robotics Days in Lausanne!
- 4 November 2022: The paperback edition of our book The International Court of Justice and Decolonization has been published – just as the UK has changed its position.
- 3 November 2022: Paper proposal and Panel proposal submitted for REAIM conference 2023 at TU Delft.
- 2 November 2022: Talk given on "Eight Recommendations on Assessment of Robotic Systems" at a workshop at UZH on human control, part of our MAIC project. Thanks Markus Christen for organising it!
- 1 November 2022: CUP book edited by Silja Voenecky et al. on Responsible AI published, including our chapter on international law and the EU AI regulation.
- 17 October 2022: New project submitted to the SNSF (PI, 0.45 Mio Chf).
- 13 October 2022: At the AI Policy Summit at ETH Zurich. Thanks Ayisha Piotti for inviting me!
- 7 October 2022: New book chapter on "Eight Recommendations for Ethical and Legal Assessments of Robotic Systems Interacting with Humans" submitted.
- 3 October 2022: New paper on SSRN on human control and AI oversight.
- 30 September 2022: At the general assembly of the Swiss Society of International Law (SVIR) in Neuchâtel.
- 19 September 2022: Fall term has begun.
- 24 August 2022: In a team retreat in Chamonix with our SNF team.
- 2 August 2022: Book chapter on the origin of the new norms in the EU AI Act is forthcoming in The Cambridge Handbook of Responsible AI (Vönecky et al. eds, CUP).
- 1 August 2022: Finished marking 150 exams of the spring term – as always, I have done all the marking myself, without any assistance.
- 27 July 2022: Our study on "Legal and Ethical Dimenions of Robotics in the Security Sector" is now available.
- 15 July 2022: Extensive interview available with Dr. Donald Riznik, a long-time lecturer in the MIL, on international law and the war in Ukraine!
- 30 June 2022: Module taught on Data/AI and Law in the CAS Big Data and AI – thanks for the trust, the active participation and the good feedback!
- 31 May 2022: Video of the talk at the conference "AI with Trust" now available (at 2:33.30, 2nd conference day AM).
- 18 May 2022: Video released explaining some legal questions re robotics.
- 16 May 2022: I will give a talk tomorrow at the "AI with Trust"-conference in Geneva.
- 15 May 2022: Christoph Flügge, former Judge at the ICTY, will hold the MIL Spring Term Lecture tomorrow, 16 May!
- 13 May 2022: on 19-20 May, our conference at University of Trier on "Information Warfare" takes place.
- 11 May 2022: on 23 May, the event of the Law School in the new building Square at HSG will take place -- with a festive speech by Renata Jungo Brüngger, Member of the Board of Mercedes-Benz Group AG, Integrity and Law.
- 10 May 2022: 10'000 downloads reached on SSRN.
- 2 May 2022: Talk given at FU Berlin on "The Human Decision in International Law", thanks to Helmut Aust for the invitation.
- 28 April 2022: Online talk given on Human Oversight in the EU proposal for an AI regulation. Thanks, Panos Koutrakos and City University, London, for the invitation.
- 30 March 2022: Online talk given at ABES Brazil on the EU proposal for an AI regulation.
- 25 March 2022: Juliane und I have just given a talk on "Human Oversight of AI" at an online Workshop at TU Delft. Thanks, Daniele Amoroso, for the invitation!
- 5 March 2022: The intake for the position is now closed. We will contact all applicants as soon as possible.
- 2 March 2022: We have the position of a research assistant to fill, focus on Ukraine – see download.
- 25 February 2022: Excellent interview in Der Spiegel on the Ukraine crisis – by Daniel Khan who also teaches in the MIL.
- 22 February 2022: Just finished marking 200+ exams from my three courses in fall term 2021. As always, I have personally done all the marking, without any assistance.
- 18 February 2022: Amicus curiae brief of Chagossians in Seychelles to ITLOS Mauritius v. Maldives (maritime delimitation in Chagos) available.
- 7 February 2022: We are on a two-day retreat in Wengen with the SNSF team.
- 2 February 2022: An interview with Dan has just been published in Armafolio 02/2021.
- 3 January 2022: Our new book series has gone live: Digital l Law – The State and Digital Society. All content available open access – PhD theses and other proposals are welcome!
- 15 December 2021: ILM has just printed our introductory note to Mauritius v. Maldives.
- 13 December 2021: Thanks to Tom Ginsburg for an exciting MIL Fall Term Lecture.
- 27 November 2021: A position paper on a possible legal framework for AI in Switzerland has just been published – we contributed.
- 26 November 2021: Professor Tom Ginsburg (University of Chicago) will give this year's MIL Fall Term Lecture on 13 December: "Democracies and International Law". Everybody is invited! Further details here.
- 11 November 2021: Article published in MDPI "J": The Ethical Assessment of Autonomous Systems in Practice.
- 10 November 2021: Online talk given at 16th Minerva IHL Conference.
- 4 November 2021: We have reopened our call for papers: conference at uni Trier on Democracy and Information Warfare.
- 2 November 2021: Participation at the 16th Minerva Conference at Hebrew University has just been opened. I give a talk.
- 25 October 2021: My article has just been published at ZöR.
- 16 October 2021: In spring term '22, I will again teach European Law, but in German.
- 11 October 2021: Guest lecture by Dr. Gebhard Bücheler in my MIL course on dispute settlement in investment protection. Thanks for a fascinating presentation!
- 7 October 2021: At the annual meeting of the German public law teachers (Staatsrechtslehrer) in Mannheim.
- 2 October 2021: Graduation speech given at HSG.
- 1 October 2021: My article on the partnership agreement EU-UK is forthcoming in ZöR.
- 1 October 2021: Julia-Ann Nigg has joined the team – welcome!
- 30 September 2021: We are in a retreat with the SNSF NRP77 team in Toggenburg.
- 25 September 2021: At a meeting of the editorial board of the European Journal of Risk Regulation.
- 24 September 2021: At the HSG Senate retreat on mount Säntis.
- 24 September 2021: At the Austrian European law day in Vaduz. Thanks for inviting me!
- 20 September 2021: Teaching at HSG has begun!
- 10 September 2021: Congratulations to Kim L.: top grade for her BIA bachelor thesis on discrimination against women! If only we had more such research…
- 27 August 2021: At a workshop of the Digital Society Initiative of Uni Zurich in Balsthal.
- 11 August 2021: Daniel Trusilo has just passed the pre-Defence of his PhDs. Congratulations!
- 10 August 2021: We are on a team retreat in Königsdorf.
6 August 2021: For all students in the MIA courses IL & Business Strategy (Burri/Ruigrok) and International Politics & Market Economy (Emmenegger/Evenett): The period for the essays will be from Wed., 27 October 2021, 6pm, to Sun, 31 October 2021, 6pm.
- 12 July 2021: For an updated list of my publications see publications.
- 8 July 2021: Talk given at armasuisse R+T ARCHE Days 2021 on "Ethische und rechtliche Aspekte der Robotik".
- 7 July 2021: Not to be missed: Conference at the University of Trier on 8 July on the EU proposal for a regulation on AI – with a fantastic line-up!
- 30 June 2021: Just taught a module in HSG CAS Big Data and AI for Managers on "Legal Aspects of Big Data and AI".
- 28 June 2021: New article in Jusletter: Künstliche Intelligenz: Handlungsbedarf im Schweizer Recht.
- 25 June 2021: My article on international law and AI has just been published in Chinese: 61 Local Legislation Journal 225-238. Thanks to Wei Cai of Sun Yat-sen University Law School!
- 20 June 2021: Our new book series digital | recht will launch soon!
- 11 June 2021: New paper on SSRN: The New Regulation of the EU on AI: How Fuzzy Ethics Diffuse into Domestic Law and Sideline International Law.
- 7 June 2021: Our Introduction to the most recent decision on Chagos will soon be published in ILM.
- 1 June 2021: Talk given online at a workshop at the Brocher Foundation: feedback for a new paper (Wang et al.) on Value Sensitive Use of Drones.
- 25 May 2021: On a panel at CyCon 2021 at the occasion of the publication of the book Autonomous Cyber Systems in International Law with our chapter (Trusilo/Burri). Thanks to the editors, Rain Liivoja and Ann Väljataga!
- 22 May 2021: Das Partnerschaftsabkommen mit dem Vereinigten Königreich ist ein gemischtes Abkommen will be published in issue 3/2021 the Austrian Review of Public Law.
- 20 May 2021: Our online workshop on Democracy and Information Warfare – an International Law Perspective, organised with Antje von Ungern-Sternberg, is taking place at the University of Trier today.
- 10 May 2021: We organize a Panel this Wednesday, 12 May 4.00pm, with the Fletcher School on the EU proposal for a regulation on artificial intelligence. Flyer here.
- 5 May 2021: Thomas D. Grant has just given the MIL Spring Term lecture on the nature of US government and his experience serving in the Administration.
- 23 April 2021: My article on international law and AI is now available in Chinese on SSRN (forthcoming in Local Legislation Journal, China).
- 21 April 2021: Our new paper on SSRN discusses today's proposal of the EU Commission for a Regulation on AI: "The New EU Legislation on Artificial Intelligence: A Primer"
- 13 April 2021: Lecture given at University of Basel on regulation of AI, video here (in German).
- 31 March 2021: New Paper on SSRN on artificially intelligent systems in cyberspace.
- 31 March 2021: Talk given at ArmaSuisse R+T on our evaluation tool.
- 24 March 2021: Talk given on the relationship between law and ethics at a workshop at University of Zurich. Thanks Ning Wang for the invitation.
- 15 March 2021: New paper on SSRN: "The Last Legacy of Brexit: An Unlawfully Concluded Trade and Cooperation Agreement" (submitted to Europe and the World: a law review).
- 5 March 2021: Just deleted my Facebook profile and Whatsapp.
- 17 February 2021: Our book The International Court of Justice and Decolonization: New Directions from the Chagos Advisory Opinion has just been published.
- 16 February 2021: New article on SSRN: "Das Partnerschaftsabkommen mit dem Vereinigten Königreich ist ein gemischtes Abkommen" (in review at Zeitschrift für Öffentliches Recht).
- 14 January 2021: New book chapter forthcoming: Daniel Trusilo and Thomas Burri, "Ethical Artificial Intelligence: An approach to evaluating disembodied systems".
See also the news archive of my old webpage.